Always made to be tough, durable and reliable
Since Otto Henze founded the PENN Fishing Tackle Company in 1932, we've been at the forefront of modern reel design and production. We pride ourselves on the fact that millions of experienced anglers around the world put their faith in PENN products every day. That's what inspires us to continue our founder's dream of manufacturing the world's highest quality fishing tackle.
take a new path
Join our team. We’re committed to not only creating great products, but more importantly a great work environment.
"WHAT DO I LOVE? THE PEOPLE, PRODUCT, PASSION AND THE FUTURE! IT IS GREAT TO WORK WITH FOLKS WHO ARE ALWAYS LOOKING TO IMPROVE AND BE THE BEST." - PENN EMPLOYEE
Warranty & repairs
Always built to perform
We’re committed to making some of the most battleworthy products on the planet. But sometimes the unexpected happens. We highly recommend registering your product within 60 days of purchase from pennfishing.com or an authorized dealer.
- In 1922, Otto Henze left Germany at age 25 and came to the United States.
- He began working as a machinist for the Ocean City Reels Company of Philadelphia.
- But Mr. Henze had greater aspirations. Mr. Henze dreamed of one day owning his own company, and building fishing reels that would set world records.
- Otto Henze left Ocean City Reels and started his own fishing reel company in 1932, called PENN Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Company.
- He established his new company in a 3rd. floor loft at 492 North Third Street in Philadelphia, renting space from William Schmitz & Co., General Machinists.
- In 1933, Otto Henze began selling his reels to the general public. The Mod F was renamed Sea Hawk; the Mod K without a star drag was renamed Bayside; the MOD K with a star drag was renamed Long Beach.
- The company's first recorded sale occurred in February 1933 to the Miller Auto Supply Company of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Miller purchased one of each PENN reel - a Sea Hawk for $1.21, a Bayside for $1.93 and a Long Beach for $2.48. Otto Henze was in business.
- In 1936, PENN introduced its most famous reel, the "Senator." It was a revolutionary new reel capable of challenging the biggest, most powerful game fish.
- In 1942, PENN moved to this new facility on West Hunting Park Avenue.In 1948, Otto Henze suddenly died.
- His wife, Martha, did something few women of the time would even consider. At age 39, she took responsibility for running the company as its President, and PENN Reels continued to prosper
- 1953 – The PENN Peerless No. 9 is introduced for light-tackle and all-around freshwater fishing.
- 1955 – All five of the new IGFA records (Black Drum, Amberjack, Yellowtail, Wahoo, White Pointer Shark) set in 1955 were made with PENN reels.
- 1959 – PENN now manufactures 77 different models for all kinds of fishing.